- [Blog] My Twitter Weekly Updates for 2009-04-18: “Some pick Argentina as haven from economic blues” – Reuters. With … http://s3nt.com/fgeb #
- Trying to recover from major food coma – asado at Los Tallas Parrilla outside of Buenos Aires was unbelievable! 500+ person restaurant! Ugh. #
- Some photos from what I’ll call “Día de Carne” Way too much meat at this asado outside Buenos Aires. http://bit.ly/carne #buenosaires #
- RT @jlewis @timhaines: Subaru escaped onto the Snow Park in New Zealand. Crazy video – snowboarding & a Subaru! http://bit.ly/mP16n #
- Realizing that using http://getmiro.com & http://tvrss.net have some flaws. My TV show feeds have not all been updating. I need The Office! #
- Can’t wait to watch ‘Peter Bjorn & John’ & ‘The Cure’ from Coachella tonight. Too bad the Cure are on at 2am in BsAs! http://bit.ly/inlbo #
- Decided to give my Slingbox another try. Upgrading software & firmware to latest version. Maybe I can finally get decent enough video on it. #
- RT @buenosaireslife Loving the new #herebeforeoprah hash tag! #
- Saw a link awhile ago about a domain name search tool. It would help make English words out of other country domains. Anyone know the site? #
- Been crazy busy working on a new project! Hopefully I’ll be able to let everyone know more about it in the next week or so! #
- Realized I really hate Kings of Leon. I’m deleting all their music from my iTunes right now. #
- Interesting news about Google user profiles. They now show up on searches for a name & have post to Twitter links, etc. http://bit.ly/J9ksu #
- Lunch at Sudestada was great! Best Asian food I’ve had in Buenos Aires so far. #
- This is a pretty funny video done as a old PSA spoof – “Facebook Manners And You.” http://bit.ly/c1t2E #
- The new version of Facebook for the Blackberry is great. Lots of improvements, including adding Facebook photos to your addressbook. #
- Why can’t we have Tweetie for the PC? I have it on my Hackintosh and am loving it. #
- RT @fastcompany The Sizzling Secrets of In-N-Out Burger: A Behind-the-Counter Look at the Fast-Food Chain. I miss this! http://shortn.me/uf #
- New version of Seesmic Desktop for Twitter released today. Lots of bug fixes and seems pretty good. http://bit.ly/f8HeF #
- Had a great meal at Green Bamboo in Buenos Aires. Funky Vietnamese place that could be in NYC’s East Village. They even had good shrimp! #
- Why do state governments have such horrible web sites? I’m registered, won’t let me log in, won’t send me a new password, no one to call. #
- Wow! I haven’t look at memory prices in a long time. Upgrading my PC and 1gb of RAM is only $15. This is the best upgrade you can do. #
- Wow, crazy numbers! Twitter Eats World: Global Visitors Shoot Up To 19 Million @techcrunch http://bit.ly/IoNX3 #
- Ah-ha! “Bacon sandwich really does cure a hangover” – Telegraph. Now I know why I crave greasy food! http://bit.ly/pHeum #
Tag Archives | twitter
Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the last few months, you’ve probably heard of Twitter. It has been covered by every major news source, spoofed on the Daily Show, made the talk show circuits, contributed to the break-up of Jennifer Aniston and John Mayer, had Ashton Kutcher post a picture of Demi Moore bending over in a bikini and then race CNN to 1,000,000 followers, been touted as the next Google, seen Oprah sign up, praised, criticized, and more. So, now is the time for you to get on the Twitter bandwagon.
This post is not going to go into the intricacies of Twitter – there are tons of pages that already do that – but we’re going to talk about how you can use Twitter to meet people in Buenos Aires, find out news, ask for advice, see trends, help others out, etc.
The first step is to sign up for an account and get familiar with the service. Twitter has a bit of a learning curve, there’s no doubt about that. You’ll need to learn the concepts and vocabulary, acceptable behavior, find people to follow, get followers, personalize your page, and grasp other general concepts. You’ll probably wonder what the hell all these people posting less than 140-character updates is all about and why you’d be interested. Stick with it, it’s worth it. There is truly a wealth of information available on the site and it’s growing every day.
Once you’re familiar with using Twitter, the search function is the next place to really explore. This is one of the powerful areas of the site, and in our example case, we’re going to show how to use it to monitor information about Buenos Aires.
– Go to Twitter Search and in the search box, enter: buenos aires OR buenosaires OR bsas OR #buenosaires
– Hit enter and you’ll get the results for any mention of Buenos Aires or its common abbreviations. You’ll find a wealth of information and people who may interest you. Feel free to reply to them or follow the ones who interest you. Unlike Facebook, following people you don’t know is highly encouraged.
– Now, on the upper right, you’ll see a link which says “Feed for this query.” You can copy that link to Google Reader and have a constantly updated stream of mentions regarding Buenos Aires.
Of course, you can do this for any terms that you are interested in. This is the real power of Twitter – seeing a stream of information in real-time, unlike Google which must take the time to index web sites.
Give it a try and feel free to leave a comment on this post with your Twitter name. I’m @buenosaireslife. See you there!
Since I’ve been spending a lot of time on Twitter recently, I decided to post a weekly summary of my tweets to my Discover Buenos Aires blog as well. (Ok, I’m not actually posting these all. I’m using the Twitter Tools plugin for WordPress to do it.) Don’t worry though, I’m still going to be adding new blog posts as well and I’m hoping to start posting on a much more regular basis now too. These are just some of my more random thoughts and a lot are related to Buenos Aires as well.
Tweets for the Week
- “Some pick Argentina as haven from economic blues” – Reuters. With quotes from @withersdavis http://bit.ly/Woly #buenosaires #
- [Blog] Dengue Fever Now in Buenos Aires Proper: The U.S. Embassy has just issued a follow-up alert to their previous… http://s3nt.com/fcup #
- RT @buenosaireslife BLOGS: Tourism in Argentina Plummets 22% In February. Marks 5th consecutive annual decline. http://bit.ly/Wg0hf #bsas #
- The Tweetmeme Button is an cool way to add a re-tweet button to your blog posts & they have a WordPress plugin. http://bit.ly/Jzad #
- Want to improve your Bit Torrent download speeds & still be able to web surf? Download half-open limit fix for Windows. http://bit.ly/i9dwS #
- I have to admit I was up til 3am watching @aplusk beat @cnnbrk to a million followers. Live streaming on Ustream.tv was cool. #jumptheshark #
- Still kicking myself for not having switched to #Firefox earlier. Add-ons are amazing: Better Gmail/GReader/YouTube, AdBlock Plus, NoScript. #
- Selling my white Flip Mino video camera in Buenos Aires. Works well, I just never use it. Send me a DM if interested. #
- http://mynameise.com: Share contacts via mobile, but rather than just an e-business card, it automatically connects your social networks too #
- RT @hootsuite The Mikeyy worm is back. To protect yourself, don’t visit anyone’s twitter.com profile pg. See status.twitter.com. #
- When did Twitter add a RT button? Long overdue. Now I can stop copying & pasting. http://twitgoo.com/6lv #
- Watch the Coachella Festival live. Amazing quality! Morrissey & Paul McCartney tonight. Killers, Sat. Cure, Sun. http://bit.ly/inlbo #
- RT @ATTmusic Coachella VIP bursting at the seams watching Morrissey. http://bit.ly/inlbo #